CalConnect LOCALIZATION Technical Committee
Having text presented in ones own language is both a reasonable expectation and in some places a legal requirement.
Enable standardization of localization technologies and approaches, and topics relevant to the usage of localization, for digital storage and interoperability that utilize localization.
The TC will align this work with standards being developed by other bodies such as ISO.
The TC will identify those calendar attributes which require localization and define an appropriate data model.
The following topics are considered out of scope:
- Consideration as to how different representations of the same attributes are synchronized. This is a workflow issue.
Example use cases
The current iCalendar standards do not provide any means by which to transport and deliver internationalized data.
Calendar data may pass through many intermediaries before reaching it’s destination, for example event aggregators.
Neither the event producers nor these intermediaries are aware of the language of the consumer.
Public events in particular need the ability to present detailed descriptions and summaries in the natural language of the consumer.
- localization for iCalendar
- localization for JSCalendar
- CC/IETF vObject-i18n that introduces I18n features for vCard
- CC/ISO 24229 Information and documentation – Codes for transcription systems (with ISO/TC 46/WG 3)
- CC/ISO [codename: SPN] Computer applications in terminology – Naming – Structure of personal names (with ISO/TC 37/SC 4)
- Defining a localization data model which ensures clients can present the data in the appropriate form.
Method of Working
- through TC-LOCALIZATION mailing list
Begin and End Dates
- Begin: October 2018
- End: Standing Committee
Milestones and Work Products
|October 2018||TC initiated|
|June 2019||CC/ISO 24229 initiated|
|July 2019||CC/ISO SPN initiated|
|January 2020||CC/ISO 24229 WD|
|April 2020||CC/ISO 24229 CD|
|April 2020||CC/ISO SPN WD|
|July 2020||CC/ISO 24229 DS/DIS|
|July 2020||CC/ISO SPN CD|
|October 2020||CC/ISO 24229 published|
|October 2020||CC/ISO SPN DS/DIS|
|January 2021||CC/ISO SPN published|
LOCALIZATION Mailing List
You must be an employee of a CalConnect member to be subscribed to this mailing list except as approved by the TCC (e.g. representatives of liaison organizations). You must be subscribed to this mailing list to post messages.
Participation on the TC-LOCALIZATION mailing list will be in accordance with standard CalConnect practices and procedures.
Mike Douglass (SCG) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Jeffrey Lau, Ribose (email@example.com)
Please contact the Chairs for more information or to join this Technical Committee.